Thursday, October 10, 2013

October!

These words have been so hard to find. I've had this post titled for days, with ideas of how to say what, but when it came to it... I couldn't do it. I couldn't make myself write. I love writing. Even if I had zero followers and Fireman didn't read, I'd still write. 

I used to write letters to him all the time. I remember I wrote him one the night after we got engaged. I was awake, he was in bed. I sat on our sofa and looked in at him as words came to me. I gave it to him on our wedding day, I believe. He sent me a sweet card the day we were married also. We are note people. I do wish he would write to me more, even if it was just on here. Sometimes he does in a text or on Facebook. I love his words. He has a way with them also. 

We had another tragedy strike our family, this time on my side. A very important person in my life passed away. It was so strange being so close to the other passing we had just dealt with, but we can't control those things. My family rallied around each other through the unbelievably difficult time. I've never been more glad that I have such a large family. 

My husband couldn't have been any better to me during all of it. So many emotions, so many things I wish I could explain to help you understand, but I just can't. Lets just say, it was a complicated life this person led (long before I was born) and some of those people in his early life came around to make all of us miserable. We generally go about our lives pretending they don't exist, but when his passing occurred, there was no getting around it. 

I did just fine at the hospital, even the visitation. Then the morning of the funeral I lost it. I couldn't find anything to wear. I know that sounds unbelievably trivial, but I had just spent the day before shopping with other members of my family making sure they had something to wear. I bought one outfit myself, but wore it to the visitation. 

I had in mind to wear a dress, but then I hated everything I put on. Clock is ticking. We need to leave. I'm in panties and a bra. Fm is dressed and ready. Tears and my mouth are running at full force. Mad at myself for not planning ahead. Mad at myself for not bring ready. Mad because I don't know who I am. All I have is that I can look nice when we need to go somewhere and now I'm failing at that. 

At the visitation, I made small talk with the hundreds of people (oh yes, hundreds) that came to pay their respects. Some I didn't know, some I knew through other family members, some I did know. I swear the majority of them would say you look so nice, you always do. I heard it over and over. One person I hadn't seen in more than 15 years told me she couldn't believe I was grown up (knew her when I was a child) and that I looked pretty. She said oh you always have been so pretty though.  Fireman said the sweetest thing, she's always gorgeous. Melt. The lady just smiled at his sweet compliment and said I can tell you think so. 

My family, my mother's side, very much resembles each other. We are all blonde, with the same skin tone and eye color. We aren't all the same size, but we look like sisters. You can tell we are all related, so we always hear well, which one are you? Or okay, who do you belong to?  Extended family came in from out of town.  I hadn't seen these people in quite a while, in fact I believe it was their first time meeting my husband. They had never seen my children.  I happened to be at my grandmother's when they arrived, so I went out to help them in. 

Her first words to me: which one are you? I replied.. Oh yes, she said. The pretty one. I remember you. 

Don't get me wrong.  I'd be completely distraught if I never heard that I looked nice/pretty/whatever.  It just made me realize remember that I don't know who I am.  I don't know what people say about me after they meet me.  Or what they say after they've known me for a while. 

I don't have that strong personality that some people have.  The one where you know exactly who they are after you meet them.  I don't know if anyone can relate.  Maybe I've officially lost my mind, lol, it's been possible for quite some time.  

I can't name my favorite kind of music.  I like a little of everything.  I can't name a specific fashion trend. A style. A food group. I know my favorite color, but even with that I have more than one. I'm not like Fireman.  I knew who he was the instant I met him.  He has grown and acquired new (or I'm sure they were there all the time) interests.  He says he knew I was it the moment we met, but I don't know.  

So, that's why I've been absent.  I'm just a little lost. I'm lost in myself.  My thoughts are a little scattered and memories of my lost loved one are intwined with everything.  

I do hope October is better than September.  

I hope I snap out of this soon, but I don't know how it will happen exactly. 

I know I have a lot of reading to catch up.  I hope you're all doing well!
xo, 
elle









22 comments:

  1. I am sorry that you have had to experience this loss and all the pain that surrounds it.

    hugs,
    willie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Elle, I'm so sorry for your loss. Try to be gentle with yourself. It sounds like the stress and grief is getting to you, which of course is quite normal. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry you had another loss in your family, so close to the last one. But how sweet that he is here for you.
    Don't worry about not knowing who you are, just be. Do want feels right, what feels good, and you will find yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia. It is very sweet. I couldn't have made it through without him. He did so many sweet things for me and my family during those few days (well he always does for me, but you know what I mean).

      Delete
  4. So sorry for your losses Elle. Maybe you need a "you" day with no interruptions. Sometimes time to think on your own will get you back to where you need to be.

    Hugs,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tricia.
      We are having a date tomorrow evening. I know that will help. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh Hon, I am so sorry that you are grieving. Take it a day at a time. don't try to stifle the thoughts, just let them come, look at them, experience them, then let them float away. Find a way to be good to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for you loss. You will be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elle, I am so sorry for your loss and that you are grieving. So glad you have your Fireman by your side to help you through.

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  8. So hard Elle. I think we all get a bit lost in ourselves when really hard stress strikes our families. Hold onto Fireman and let him assure you, even perhaps have him tell you "who" you are. It might get you thinking and affirm that you know a whole lot more about who you are than you realize right now. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this idea. I'd love to know how he sees me. Entirely.
      Thanks Susie. :)

      Delete
  9. I am so sorry for your losses, hang in there. Try to take some time to just be you, figure to what elle likes, what elle wants.

    xo Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for your loss and I hope you gain strength from that wonderful guy at your side!

    Prayers and blessings and hugs,

    Ami

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, Elle. Sending hugs your way! I'm sorry you've gone through this pain lately, but I think it's wonderful how supportive he has been for you. The love that you two have for each other really shows in your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Kenzie :) I'm glad it shows!!!

    ReplyDelete